Home at Last

Whew, what a week.  Part of me feels like I have been in the car for 8 days straight.  I will give an update on our sweet dogie Bear and then try to give the run down of what I have been doing for the last week.  But first I want to thank all of you for your kind messages of support for Bear and our family.  I missed reading your stories and will do my best to get caught up over the next 2 or three days.  Thanks for your patience in my absence.

It turns out that Bear did not have a herniated disc.  In fact they scanned that dog from nose to tail and did not find any physical abnormality, spinal issues, or tumors anywhere.  It took two days but they finally diagnosed him with myasthenia gravis (MG).  This is an autoimmune disease that attacks the nerological system of the body and prevents the messages from getting to the muscles from the nerves.  So even though he had no pain and was trying to stand and walk his hind legs just weren’t getting the message.  Essentially his immune system was killing off the neurotransmitters that send the message.   To finally diagnose this disease they gave him a fast acting medicine and within seconds he was able to stand up and walk around.  The bad news about this fast acting drug is that it also leaves the system quickly so he was back down after 15 seconds of walking around.  To manage the disease we have to give him a slow acting version of the drug which is essentially liquid neurotransmitters, it has to be given at exactly 8 hour increments which has proven to be a scheduling nightmare so far.   He also has to be on steroids to suppress his immune system just enough to keep it from attacking himself.  There is a slight chance the disease will go into remission in 6-8 months and he can live drug free at that time.  That would be great because right now and until that time (possibly forever) we have to be at home at 4:30am 12:30pm and 8:30 pm every single day to administer his meds.

The worst part of it all is that the disease has caused his esophagus to enlarge to the point that we have to worry about him being able to swallow.  Most dogs with MG end up dying not from the disease itself but from choking or of aspiration pneumonia if their food or water get into the lungs instead of the stomach.   So that is the major thing to watch with him.  He has to eat and drink in a sitting position and sit there for 10 min afterwards to make sure everything gets to his stomach.  This means we have to feed him and give him water to make sure he can sit the whole time.  It is so hard to leave him without water all day.

He did get a slight case of pneumonia while he was at the vet that is why they kept him for a whole week to monitor him.  He is doing better now and we were able to bring him the 8 hours home last night.  We got through the night and his medicine and meals and so far he is doing great.  I know this is a lot more that most would go through for a dog but he is our child and we would do anything within our means to take care of him.  Right now he is able to walk around a little bit and go to the bathroom by himself.  He has light in his eyes and plenty of wag in his tail.  If he gets to the point that he looses his spirit we will have to make the difficult choice to ease his suffering and put him down.  But for now he is our spoiled, high maintenance, old man and we are so happy to have him with us.

The majority of the trip was spent in the car driving back and forth from my mom’s house and the vet which are an hour apart.  But I did get to go visit my grandpa who is turning 90 this year.  And I also was in my cousin’s wedding.  She is my younger cousin and we are more like sisters.  It was so beautiful and so much fun to celebrate with her.

And special news just for you ladies.  Cloudy and I got caught in a moment of passion after my cousin’s wedding and did not use a condom, the next morning my temperature spiked and has been up for three days now.  Maybe this wasn’t a practice round after all……


7 thoughts on “Home at Last

  1. Awww your poor puppy! I am glad at least you know what is wrong with him so that you can give him the care that he needs. I hope that all your extra TLC pays off. As for your little “slip-up” that is exciting! We are almost at the same phase in our cycles…I am 4 dpo. We can enjoy the fabulous 2ww together. 😉 It would be cool if we were both successful! Crossing my fingers!

  2. Oh man – your poor dog!! That definitely sounds like a scheduling nightmare for the meds – I hope he goes into remission in 6 months!

    Maybe that moment of passion was just meant to be. 🙂

  3. Oh dear, what an ordeal to go through. Your poor dog, he is lucky to have you both, that’s a tough schedule and a lot of extra work. I truly hope it will go back if possible.

  4. Your poor pup! I certainly hope the disease goes into remission but, if not, I totally understand your devotion to him. Non-pet owners may not agree but they are also not blessed with the unconditional love of a furry child.
    Ooo, I hope your passionate encounter will pay off!

  5. Thank you for commenting on my post! It’s nice to have so many connections out here in blogland.
    I am so sorry to hear about your furbaby. I just love mine and it would be so hard to see something like that happen. I really hope that it’s temporary and you have many years left with your doggie.

  6. Awww poor puppy … that’s no fun, for him or for you guys. But I’m glad that for now, his spirits are up and that he’s happy to be home with his fam.

    Love your special news – fingers crossed for a continued high temp … for nine more months!!

I always love hearing from you.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s